With the recent and glorious spike in temperature, it’s easy to forget that we were digging ourselves out of 40 inches of snow just a few weeks ago. Spring is coming to the Eastern Panhandle! This time of year always makes me thankful for my home town and its many opportunities for those of us who love the outdoors. This is the only time of year that I regret not pursuing my Masters in Education. It’s not too long before I remember that teachers have a difficult job, and I think that the summer break is a very small consolation prize.
The Eastern Panhandle is a lucky place to be during the warmer months because we really do have it all; an easy drive to several major cities, mountains, rivers, trails and spectacular downtown districts. I know many of my friends are dusting off their mountain bikes or itching to hit the white water in Harpers Ferry. Below are several activities that I particularly enjoy.
- Kayaking: Whether you enjoy the thrills of the rapids or a slow paddle on calm water, the Eastern Panhandle has just the venue for you. My family is perfectly happy to spend the entire day slowly paddling the Sleepy Creek or a mild portion of the Shenandoah.
- Hiking: Not “real” hiking; you aren’t likely to see me huffing my way to the top of Maryland Heights, but we enjoy a brisk walk with our dogs among the trails of Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area or the trails along the B&O Canal.
- Geocaching: We enjoy this activity while taking one of our many hikes. Finding that “treasure” never gets old for our family.
- Gardening: Whether you have a small tomato patch or acres of garden, the Eastern Panhandle enjoys good soil and an extended growing season. There is something very satisfying about preparing and eating a meal comprised of ingredients grown in my own back yard!
- I love going to auctions and buying, what generally amounts to, someone’s junk. There is always that possibility of a great find. While I have yet to strike gold, I particularly enjoy the box of jazz vinyl I scored for $2.
What do you like to do during the spring and summer seasons? I am always on the lookout for new adventures and ways to enjoy my community, so I would love to hear about your warm weather luxuries. Tell us in the comments below or on our Facebook Page.